Steve,
If you would like two footprints at two different locations on the pwb,
you should show the device twice on the schematic with a note as to why.
If you want one footprint that can except two different devices you can
do that with a special footprint (named ssop14-ssop16??). The second
option isn't uncommon with memory and RF devices. If you'd like two
different devices because the breadboard uses a cheaper burn able device
and your production uses a custom ASIC, or some such scenario, then I'd
suggest two different schematics (or a revision to the same schematic).
For this last option you can often buy or design a adapter daughter
board to convert your cheap part to the production footprint.
John