At 08:48 AM 12/20/01 +1000, Damon Kelly wrote:
> > If you want one footprint that can except two different
> > devices you can
> > do that with a special footprint (named ssop14-ssop16??).
>
>This option causes DRC errors - or at least it does in my implementation. I
>sometimes require an SO-14/SO-16W footprint, to allow alternative op-amps,
>and I always seem to get DRC errors of the type "extra pads on net" etc...I
>can live with them, but it's irritating.
>Is there anyway to prevent the DRC from tripping over the extra pads?

Last time I looked, Protel does not generate a DRC error for pads where the
pads have the same name. If one of the pads has no name, it will create a
DRC error. However, in either case, track connecting the pads, if it is
part of the footprint, will create short errors until the track is assigned
the appropriate net, either as part of the synchronization process or using
Design/Netlist Manager/Menu/Update Free Primitives.... -- which also
updates component non-pad primitives. Technically, this is a minor bug, but
we use it.

To summarize, there are three ways to handle double-padding:

(1) Place two symbols on the schematic with a note that only one of them is
to be inserted. If the two symbols are placed on top of each other, the
note may not be necessary. Name one of them, for example, U14A, the other
U14B. Each one of these may then have its own footprint. There will be two
separate components on the PCB, they can be placed in any arrangement that
works.

When one symbol is placed atop another, one may wish to hide some of the
various text displays....

(2) Use a single symbol on the schematic but place a double-pad pattern on
the PCB. This footprint has two pads for each original schematic pin. Each
of these pads will have the same name. If the Synchronizer is used to
transfer net information, the pads will be properly assigned nets; if track
or other primitives are added, Update will be required. If Load Netlist is
used, there is still a bug which can cause assignment oscillation.

(3) Create a schematic symbol with double pins. I won't go into detail on this.

Protel does not support multiple components with the same reference
designator. It will cheerfully allow you to create them, but it does not
properly handle net assignments. I can see arguments for leaving it this
way, but it could also be argued that allowing multiple components with the
same refdes (and which would be assigned identical nets) would be useful
for double-padding. On the other hand, a single footprint for
double-padding is schematic-controlled and thus will survive
synchronization with unused component removal, etc., and I think it's
better to leave it as-is.

Protel does not seem to support free primitives in Unions. If it did, this
would provide another solution to this problem (though Update would still
be required); one could simply add pads and create a union with the
original footprint. Free primitives in Unions would be useful for other
reasons. My guess is that they did not do it because it would have added
another field to all the primitives, whereas component Unions only involved
the component primitive, not all its parts. Maybe next release.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA