I haven't experimented with it but I think MS was/is trying to simplify some
networking setup features, especially for the home networkers (and gamers
too).  Windows ME was supposed to address that but failed miserably and W2K
didn't really try.  So maybe third time is a charm?

Seems that adding hardware is now hands free, just plug it in and the OS
takes care of it transparently (for the most part).  Don't have XP myself
but that is what I observed on another system.

regards,
Tim Hutcheson