> >     Altium is working investing in getting Protel to work in
> > XP.  I don't know what
> > you guys think, but Protel is a commercial application
> > product.  I don't think it has
> > any business working in XP.  Even Altera says that their
> > Quartus will only be
> > certified to work in Win2K.  They dropped the idea of trying
> > to get it certified to
> > work in XP.  Honestly, the price of these type of packages
> > sometime may demand that
> > you work with a specific OS.
> >     I'm all for Protel being supported in as many OSs as
> > possible, but I do not think
> > that non XP support would really affect Altiums customer
> > base.  Sure, if Protel was a
> > video game, Altium would lose customers without XP support.
> > I don't Altium should
> > spend their programmer's time supporting consumer grade XP
> > when it work fin in Win2K
> > Professional & WinXP Professional.
> >

> The only problem with this is that it may come to the point where one tool
> is certified for Win2k, and another is certified for XP. Then you'll have
> run one in an uncertified environment (and probably unsupported
> environment), or dual boot with all the associated hassles. Or even buy a
> dedicated machine for each operating environment.
>
> Matthew van de Werken

This has overtones of the transition from Win 3.x to Win 95, i.e. from 16
bit Windows to 32 bit. Protel 3 could run on Win 3.x, but the next version
(Protel 98) needed a 32 bit version of Windows.

Maybe Phoenix will be able to run on all 32 bit versions of Windows. But
sooner or later, I am picking that MS's requirement for issuing MS
certification for any application (that it is able to run on the most recent
version of Windows) will imply that earlier versions of 32 bit Windows OS's
will no longer be supported by thus certified applications.

It is not totally out of the question that Phoenix will not run on
"consumer" versions of Windows, such as Win 95, Win 98, and Win ME; as it
is, Altium's attitude is that Protel 99 SE should preferably be run on a
"professional" version of Windows.

Altium could be in for a shock if there is less than expected interest in
even trying out trial versions of future versions of Protel, which could
well come about if the versions of Windows being used by would-be evaluators
at such times are not up to muster for running such trial versions.

Onwards through the fog...

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer