>     Altium is working investing in getting Protel to work in
> XP.  I don't know what
> you guys think, but Protel is a commercial application
> product.  I don't think it has
> any business working in XP.  Even Altera says that their
> Quartus will only be
> certified to work in Win2K.  They dropped the idea of trying
> to get it certified to
> work in XP.  Honestly, the price of these type of packages
> sometime may demand that
> you work with a specific OS.
>     I'm all for Protel being supported in as many OSs as
> possible, but I do not think
> that non XP support would really affect Altiums customer
> base.  Sure, if Protel was a
> video game, Altium would lose customers without XP support.
> I don't Altium should
> spend their programmer's time supporting consumer grade XP
> when it work fin in Win2K
> Professional & WinXP Professional.

The only problem with this is that it may come to the point where one tool
is certified for Win2k, and another is certified for XP. Then you'll have to
run one in an uncertified environment (and probably unsupported
environment), or dual boot with all the associated hassles. Or even buy a
dedicated machine for each operating environment.

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken
Electronics Engineer
CSIRO Exploration & Mining - Gravity Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - Qld - 4069 - AUSTRALIA
ph:  +61-7-3327 4685     fax:  +61-7-3327 4455
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]