Hmmm... Well you're not going to believe this then:  I got my largest
performance increase ever by REDUCING the swapfile on my Win2K system to 2mb.
That's right, 2mb.  That way windows isn't busy swapping out to memory all
the time, which uses up bus and CPU time.  This effectively forces windows
to actually use the 512mb of memory I have installed.  Applications
virtually fly open after they have been opened once.  Try it
sometime.  Now, windows will gripe that it doesn't have enough virtual
memory every time you restart, and claim that it is resizing the swapfile,
but it actually doesn't.  If you can put up with the warning every time you
reboot, it seems the fastest way to go to me.
Also, if you do this you will be limited to the memory size of the
machine...no giant swapfile space to save you if you open 10 50mb photos in
your editor, but this isn't a factor in my application.

Also, Brian, wouldn't you say that a 3X increase is a bit of an
exaggeration?  How did you determine this?  Subjectively?
Perhaps if your memory size is big enough, windows doesn't swap out all the
time, causing the effect I have noted above?

Frank

Frank Gilley
Dell-Star Technologies
(918) 838-1973 Phone