Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  3x is an under-exaggeration.

Even though I have that huge swap file, I have yet to hear the system go through it.

Eliminating the swapfile, or making it small can cause problems with win2k, like
unexplained errors, or program mysteriously closing.  No matter how much system ram
you have, I do not recommend it.

Controlled test....

Test 512mb:  Opening PCB Dongle3D.pcb, 3.8MB PCB within protel.   15 seconds.
Test 2GB:  Opening PCB Dongle3D.pcb, 3.8MB PCB within protel.   15 seconds.
--------------------------------------
reading a 10mb pdf doc..
replying email
---------------------------------------
autoroute 3 main sections
512mb = 25 minutes
2GB = 20 minutes

closing pcb.
512mb = 8 seconds
2GB = 2 seconds.
--------------------------------------
back to 2 emails,
opened MS word & MS Excel
--------------------------------------

Open PLmainboard PCB, 5mb
512 mb = 35 seconds
2GB = 15 seconds.

----------------------------------------------- gave up timing here, just minimizing
& maximizing the protel window, in the 512mb system, it too close to 10 seconds, the
2GB system was immediate...

Manually route 2 traces..
512mb = Lots of HD seeking, very steppy motion
2GB = smooth as if it was just a clean boot.

I also found a way to get your system to perform even better, take a look at this web
site.  Note: you need a lot of memory for these apps...

http://www.superspeed.com/ramdisk.html

Use their ramdisk software to put your swapfile in a ramdisk.  No more seek time at
all.  No HD access...
Take a look at the SuperSpeed...

Brian Guralnick