Hi Guys
I have bad problems like this due to the interaction with a 42" HP
Designjet800 Network Plotter.  I fix it by having protel installed on the
print server and opening the database for plotting only from that server.
After I'm done plotting, I MUST open the Protel database on this server and
set the default printer to something safe (Adobe Acrobat or a Laserjet) and
save the file.  I can then open it on the previous machine.

If I forget and plot from my workstation, I then cannot get the database
loaded without a crash, so I have to open it on the other machine & change
the default printer.

Hope this helps!

John