On 01:17 AM 1/26/2002 +1100, Graeme Zimmer wrote:

>Hi,
>
> > I have run second P99SE processes all the time, same for P98 and
> > combinations of P98/P99SE/V2.8. Has never caused a crash yet, using either
> > NT4 or now W2K.
>
>All our machines run Win2K with oodles of resources.
>
>Running more than one copy of Protel at a time is guaranteed to crash any of
>our machines.

As a test, I once ran four instances of Protel (all autorouting one of the demo
boards) simultaneously without any noticeable problems (modest amounts of memory and
proc power - dual 500, 512M). Perhaps it was the dual processors at work, but I never
encountered any real problems with multiple instances of Protel, ie, only a modest
loss of resources to Protel memory leaks at the end of the autorouting operations.

When I first joined the forum, several (4?) years back, I did ask about other people
running multiple instances, after accidently discovering that Protel (P98 at the time)
had not disabled multiple instance operation, and someone, either Ian Wilson, Geoff
Harland, John Williams, or one of the other _credible authorities who post here
suggested that the danger may lie in Protel's possible use of identical memory space
from within each instance, which might then result in a memory overwrite by one of the
instances, causing failure of the other(s). While I personally never encountered
crashes during multiple instance operation that I could attribute to this potential
problem, the theory has merit in a logical sense, and therefore I want to remind folks
that there IS a potential, albeit hidden danger in running multiple instances. With
appropriate precautions, I found it quite beneficial.

FYI, I believe (though I can no longer confirm...the email is long dead and gone) that
at the time, I garnered a response from Protel support on the subject to the same
conclusion, ie, do so at your own risk...

aj