I just bought a Gainward 64 Meg GeForce 3 card ($250) because I needed it
for another scientific visualization project that needs maximum Direct3D
performance.  Now that I have it, I see significant improvement in a lot of
things and 99SE runs just fine with it.  In fact, an older legacy 2D CAD
program (Autosketch 2.1) which I am sort of fond of, also seems to be
working perfectly now under Win2000 whereas before it didn't.  It sort of
perked up my old 400 Mhz p2 system a bit.  Who would have thought that!

regards,
Tim Hutcheson