The only case I have done this for is a BGA:

I found a fab drawing note in an email on the Technet users group:
THE VIA HOLES BENEATH THE BGA AREAS MUST BE PLUGGED SUCH THAT IT WILL NOT
CAUSE SOLDER DRAIN DURING SOLDERING

I was talking with another designer, Phil Dutton, and he aslo recommended the Power Connections Relieved.
"Make sure that your Power connections are relieved, or they will cool down faster than the rest of the device, inducing stresses."