> Looks nice. But what use is there ?
>  From a prototype that has been tested I can make a shot
> with a digital camera. This image is then used for fabrication
> and documentation.
> I realize there might be advantages when working with very
> bulky parts, assuming collisions are visible. But with TQFP
> and 1206 cases, 3D is not that spectacular. Showing off with
> a nicley textured connector, rendered with 10k triangles ?
< -- snipp -->

Rene,
        you are right if you are designing baords used in a simple case.
But imagine you are designing for a case where only partly is enough room to
place even a TANT_C Capacitor, to say nothing of a connector....
And now imagine the mechCAD-engeneer beside you is using an 3D-CAD while you
have to set placement rules and drawings in mech-layers to find out wether or
not you can place this part here .....
Believe me, you will long for a 3D-tool.  :-)

regards

Waldemar