At 10:28 PM 2/7/2002 +1000, robi artwork wrote:

>I don't see a 3D Viewer as a must - If you do you homework - properly
>It seems to me more of a laziness of the engineer  to look after the
>height restictions.

This, I will note, was an offensive comment. "Laziness" is perjorative; if
we look at what it means we will realize that a good engineer is, in
certain ways, lazy. A great deal of progress has come from the kind of
"laziness" that Robi is dismissing.

A desire for computers to do accounting work, something that did not exist
when I was born -- except for some business machines that might possibly
qualify as computers in the most limited sense --, could certainly be "more
of a laziness of an accountant to do his arithmetic."

>I never had a 3D Viewer - I nevere want one.

We can see that we would never consider Robi for any complex work!

>If things need to be placed in a low area - you just need to take care of
>it and watch out.

Well, duh!

I did some pretty complex work with tape and mylar. But I was pretty lazy,
I did not like to take all that time to stand there with someone else
verifying all the connections against the schematic. So I took a VIC-20
computer and wrote software to allow fast entry of net lists, optimized to
minimize keystrokes, and then integrate the information from all layers of
a design to make a single net list (the vias were numbered). This net list
was then compared to a net list made from the schematic. Using diazo copies
of the design allowed us to check the design at the pencil stage, in
parallel with the taping step. It was, in fact, more accurate than the
usual two-person checking procedure. Yes, I was lazy, and the result was
better design, faster, and faster equals either cheaper or more lucrative
or both. And both are desireable.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA