From: Abd ul-Rahman Lomax [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 11:24 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Re[3]: View PCB 3D

At 12:49 PM 2/7/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Protel is an EDA package, don't expect
>it to do your mechanical work.

Certainly it is not necessary for Protel to do what a true 3-D drafting
package would do. However, meeting the problems of fitting parts on a PCB,
which is a very limited subset of the field of 3-D drafting, is mission
critical for PCB designers.

Many users will not want to have to convert all their libraries to include
3-D information; but gradually available libraries would come to include
such information. For the program to be able to accept it is, in my view,
fundamental. Basically a 3-D model can be associated with any footprint.
Protel is doing that right now, with automatic assignment of models, just
as a demonstration. So users who don't need 3-D information could simply
not make those libraries available, and they would not need to set 3-D
rules.

And once those models are available, and once users can make their own
models, a user could make an environment model or, ideally, import one from
a 3-D CAD package, and then detect rule violations in 3-D.

This is not very far from where we are already, and it is a logical step in
the development of the program. And it would be quite useful for many
designers.

What is needed:

(1) User ability to make and/or import 3-D models.
(2) Rule checking (similar to present placement rule checking).

This is pretty elementary, compared what is needed for "mechanical work.""

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA