Lloyd,
I would whole heartily agree with you.
There was a CAD system VeriBest that was based on Bentley's
MicroStation and therefor needed it to run, there was two editors
the PCB side and the drafting side, and yes one could say that
there was great power in that combination, however the PCB  side was never
quite the PCB package it should have been due to the limitations and
controls of MicroStation. It was very cumbersome to deal with the two
editors.
You were stuck using both no matter what to do certain functions to complete
a design.
It was another company and for Bentley to change MicroStation
just for VeriBest was not in the cards. Thus when they removed MicroStation
it ultimately became a very good PCB tool, on its own, now Mentor owns them.
Also there were just as many who wanted Microstation as those who didn't, so
you can't
please everyone.
That being said I would agree to leave the EDA tools to do what a
EDA tools should do, and provide proper export and import to the appropriate
tools
to do mechanical drawing, checking etc. Translations are always fraught with
some problems
too but there are a few reasonably good standards out there to provide
adequate
interface to these other tools provided the EDA CAD vendor implements them
properly.
I guess the one downside is you need to purchase and learn other programs,
but if one really wants
or needs a good drafting package one should buy and learn one.
We should not forget though that an EDA package should however provide at
least a minimum capability to output minimum sufficient documentation to
fab, assemble and test a board.
May not be the way you want the documentation, but none the less any fab
house etc should be able to produce a board with it.
Or that really is like buying the car without tires.
I really don't expect my EDA package to be a full blown 2D/3D/Finite
Analysis package. It is nice to be able to simply view it though also.
I do wish though Protel had a little better dimensioning capabilty though.
Thanks
Bob

Robert M. Wolfe, C.I.D.