At 01:56 PM 2/7/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>"Many users will not want to have to convert all their libraries to include
>3-D information"
>This is my point exactly. Some PCB designers have no interest in the 3D
>world, so let's not create a proverbial white elephant inside of Protel.

Lloyd missed my point. A good implementation will not require users to
provide 3-D information. It will merely allow them to attach a 3-D model to
a footprint. Thus there would be no legacy issues.

>The
>functionality you request would add cost, or possibly an add-on package.
>Hmmm extra packages....sounds like the road the PADs and Orcads have been
>down before. And frankly I'm not interested in going down that road again.

The functionality is almost there, additional cost would be minor. Protel
already did most of the work in providing the viewer. Sure, if there were
substantial additional cost, it could become an add-on, like the excellent
-- I understand -- Qual-ECAD package. Altium might simply buy Qual-ECAD,
which makes sense if Qual-ECAD is on offer at a reasonable price.

The decision was already made, obviously, to provide 3-D functionality. Why
they did not give us access to the models, a relatively simple step, I
don't know, that's a mystery.

>You don't use a car in the lake nor do you use a boat on roads, but as long
>as you have a boat trailer to transport back and forth to the different
>mediums.. (perhaps a flakey analogy!?)

Yes, pretty flakey. It is routine for me as a PCB designer to be
considering vertical interference issues. Most of the time they are simple
enough that, yes, I don't need interference checking. But we asked for a
way to deal with height information a long time ago, there was broad
consensus that it would be useful.

There is a height field already assigned in the PCB file format. This is
enough for simple checking, but some components are pretty complex in shape
and a single height won't cut it. What I'm asking for does not require a
database change. Instead, a text file could associate 3-D models with
footprint names. If the file does not have an entry for a footprint, the
height attribute would be used. We need to have editor access to the height
attribute, both in the footprint library editor and in the PCB.

This is not a great deal to ask for. I think the only work actually needed
as a first step is give us access to the height attribute.

The reason why this truly belongs as part of a sophisticated PCB design
package is that *placement* belongs in the PCB design package. It is
entirely too cumbersome to have to move designs in and out of various
programs just to figure out where on the PCB to put a part, assuming that
there is a model of the environment. Yes, 3-D placement rule checking would
need to be added as well. I'd want to be able to move a part around and see
the error color appear and disappear.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA