I heartily concur with Mr Watnoski regarding PCAD superior ease of use and
"niceness" and "sensibility". And no, I am not a newbie, I was a longtime
PCAD user (going back to MD 4.x, that's 1988 kids) and then PADS/DOS for a
couple of years, then more recently ACCEL/Tango v13 for about 3 years, now
Protel 99se for almost a year.

I normally try to keep my mouth shut about how bad Protel sucks because
people get all bent out of shape as if I'm slamming their wife or mother or
something. Sure Protel is pretty eye candy, and to be fair, it tries very
hard to be a full featured system in monolithic package, but it only gets
credit IMO for the basics, and even a lot of that is quirky and fairly
non-intuitive. Protel feature sets I do like are single-key CAM generation
and print preview. The synchronizer works well most of the time. The
schematic editor is a real toy compared to Pcad. Wire rubberbanding is the
key to pcad ease of use I think. Protel library handling is really
intimidating but in the end isn't all that great because of the lack of
standardized field usage e.g. for simulation. Having user-defined and -named
attributes is SOOO much better. Protel simulation is very "lite" IMO.
Support for SPICE models is okay but I've gotten more useful results faster
out of simpler cheaper programs like EWB, as in 2 hours out of the box.
Signal integrity? Never could get it to work, it locked up my system on a
small 100-part design. Protel automated placement and routing (again IMO) is
94.2% useless. I place schematic symbols, add wiring, do placement, and
route--all manually.

My crystal ball says that Phoenix will include those PCAD niceties and more
like integrated libraries and perhaps even in-place library editing. I could
be wrong.