On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:55:49 +1100, Geoff Harland wrote:

>If such keys were used with Protel though, ... , which keys would then be
>used to select the Next and Previous layers?

>I'm not adverse to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Well getting historical now (and hysterical) I still curse IBM for screwing
up the PC world with their 102 key keyboard layout. I hung on to my 84 key
keyboard till it fell apart.

DOS Protel was driven by the mouse and mostly (completely - can't remember)
with ctrl/alt/shift function keys. It wasn't very intuitive but soon became
second nature.

With function keys in two columns on the left your thumb worked
Ctrl/Alt/Shift and your fingers hit the F keys. Your left hand hardly had
to move making 'touch typing' the F keys easier and your right hand never
had to leave the mouse.

Now (where function keys are concerned anyway thanks to IBM) we have to
choose between performing digital gymnastics like hitting Ctrl-F6 with one
hand or constantly having the other hand darting between keyboard and
mouse.

Try really  watching what you or others do with your hands while you work
for some clues about key choices. I guess in Protel most people's non-mouse
hand hovers around the middle of the keyboard so having frequently used
keys on the numeric keypad (as far from home as you can get) probably isn't
very good.

Cheers, Terry.