At 04:01 PM 2/13/2002 +1100, Geoff Harland wrote:
><snip>
> >The fact that Phoenix is in beta release
> > will generate excitement in anticipation, and I'm sure that Altium is
>aware
> > of that. So it should not be secret.
> >
> > So I conclude that it is not in Beta yet.
> >
> > Abdulrahman Lomax
>
>Altium might not subscribe to the same view. They could, conceivably, argue
>that publicising that beta testing is currently occurring (which the general
>public would infer in the event that a beta tester disclosed that) has the
>potential to compromise their commercial interests, in that their
>competitors would then be aware as to when beta testing is occurring
>(whereas they would not be aware of that if none of the beta testers
>disclosed that).

Let me see if I understand. If Protel allows beta testers to disclose that
Phoenix is in beta test, then the competition will know that it is in beta
test. Gee, I hadn't thought of that!

I suppose that all the press releases about what is in Phoenix wouldn't be
enough to get the competition off their collective duffs, but when they
hear that it is actually in beta, why, then they will go out and hire
droves of programmers to deal with the emergency. They will also offer
Protel beta testers large sums of cash for allowing them a sneak preview,
thus corrupting the Protel user community. Obviously, for the public
welfare, and for reasons which have now become clear, beta testing must be
secret.

*What is the problem with the competition knowing that it is in Beta?* They
know -- they have known for a long time -- that it is coming. They have
some idea of what is in it, the big deal, probably, being the autorouter.
They gain no advantage by knowing that it is in beta. None. I was being
sarcastic, of course, but the only gain I could think of was that they
could try to bribe a beta tester. And they could do that anyway. Risky
business, though.

On the other hand, right now someone contemplating a Protel purchase might
be tempted to think that Phoenix is vaporware. As soon as it is known that
it is in beta, that obstruction vanishes.

In other words, secrecy for beta equals loss for Protel and Protel users.

Sure, they might not agree. But, as I said, I'd be surprised. It's not in
beta, Occam's razor.

They would have to have selected a whole new crew of beta testers, which
would kind of trash the idea of having experienced users beta test.

Yes, it's a problem. But it may not be such a big one. Sure, it means that
Phoenix might be released with inadequate beta testing. But if patches to
fix bugs are quickly available, and if the bugs are not bad -- which they
might verify in a month of beta -- then it is no longer so important that
everything get found and fixed before release.

Sure, they should do beta testing for a longer period, if they want to
avoid reinforcing the bad reputation that has plagued Protel. But quick
response to bugs and complaints will be more important.

Tsien gets bug reports and fixes the software and sends a patch within
days, I think. That might be too fast, but not necessarily....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA