What do you see running when you CTRL-ALT-DEL you system? (one time I mean)

You should see a list of apps running. Can you identify anything you don't
expect to see in there? Yes, there will be lots of OS crap you probably
won't be able to identify, but that goes for most of us I would imagine. Can
you configure most of the stuff in your tray so it doesn't load a startup?

It's way easier if you're using NT or Win2000 because it shows a process
list AND the CPU time each one is taking.

Tony