At 10:37 AM 2/22/2002 -0500, Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:
>i've got an 8-layer board now and the
>stack manager shows:
>
>toplayer
>gnd
[etc]

>BUT, in the generated gerbers i see [...] gp1 thru 4 [...].

That's the problem with introducing new features, the implementation is not
always complete. It's only recently that Protel gave us the option of
naming layers. These names do not readily translate to file extensions with
three letter names, so Protel did not modify the plot file names. Gp1 thru
4 refer to the Inner Planes 1 through 4. The mechanical layers are likewise
numbered.

Perhaps an option would add extension names that are the same as layer
names, perhaps with a g at the beginning, so we would get .gtop, .gbottom,
gmid1 etc, ggnd1 in the above example, etc. It is necessary to have the
database layer number as well as its name, particularly with inner planes,
which might well have the same "name."

Duplicate Inner Layer names are not rejected by the Stack Manager (which is
where you can assign a layer name. I would recommend, when naming an inner
plane, that the inner plane number be included in the name, so instead of
GND, one might have GND1. I did not find a way within the stack manager to
determine what layer was what original plane number. They are in the Layer
dialog in the plane number order -- I think -- but if one of them were
deleted, this would not be reliable for name determination.

You can find the mech layer correspondences in the mech layer setup under
Design.

Unless the assigned layer extension routines are changed, the stack manager
and the stack image which Protel allows to be placed should show, in
addition to layer names, the gerber extensions that will be generated.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA