There's a trick here - do Tools | Layer Stackup Legend.  You get a crosshair
to place the legend -- click ONCE to set one corner and then **PRESS TAB**
to get the legend options -- check "gerber extension".  This is not the
default, but it is remembered, once it's set.

I don't see the gerber extensions in the Design | Layer Stack Manager, and
couldn't see any options for that.  Am I missing something?