Dwight,

"Retrieve layer colors from PCB" is also a good idea if nothing else works.
I didn't try ever.

But back to the original problem: have you set the right target PCB? (Tools
| set target PCB...)
If you have:
I had this problem on 2 machines:
one with Matrox millenium G400 NT4SP6 and P99SP6, 128K RAM, K6-III
the other with G450DualHead, Win2K and P99SP6, 256KRAM, dual P-III.
With exception of the Matrox cards not very similar... it could be a
graphics card problem.
On both machines I wasn't able to change colours if I had opened the Preview
before the PCB.
The dialog seems to lock itself (at least the colour part in my sytsems) if
this happened once.
I had to close everything, exit protel and reopen (by "File | open", not
with the picklist!).
Since then, I open Print Previews only if I need them and close them before
leaving Protel. And never had the problem again.

regards,
Heiko Vachek
elektronik 21 GmbH