Yes, that was it. If I do the "right" order (open PCB, then Preview) from
the beginning, I can get the color dialog. Thanks!  (In fact, opening ANY
PCB will put the client into a state where it's "safe" to open a PPC,
whether or not the corresponding PCB, or any PCB, is open at that time.)

BUG:
become "blocked".

Details: If a PPC (Print Preview) doc is opened in a Protel client session
before any PCB has been opened, then on the Tools | Preferences, Color/Gray
tab, clicking on a color bar has no effect (the color choice dialog box does
not open).  To make that dialog available, it is necessary to exit the
Protel client and re-start it.

Workaround: Open ANY PCB doc before the first time you open a PPC doc within
a given client session. (It doesn't matter if the PCB is still open when you
open the PPC.)

Copy sent to Protel support.

<snip>
> The dialog seems to lock itself (at least the colour part in my sytsems)
if