I've never gotten this to work.  On the Tools | Preferences, color/gray tab,
clicking in the "gray" column pops up a panel (with 64 squares, but only 4
shades!), but clicking in the color column does nothing.  I tried just now,
opening the PCB first, then the Preview, but still couldn't change colors.
The only way I've managed to change colors is by changing the PCB colors,
then using "Retrieve layer colors from PCB".  (win2k,SP6)

PCB