> Paired top and bottom silkscreens would be another idea worth
considering.....
> specially when Protel does such a lousy job of handling designator and
part
> numbering. If you use the current system like designator = part  number =
OA5,
> and use the designator mirrored and set to bottom silkscreen and part
number set
> to top. Once you start to use pasted arrays and step/repeated sections,
you get
> rubbish like connector names going from OA5  ->  OA5_1c. Looks like c**p
on a
> board.
>
> Clive Broome

If you want to paste components while retaining the *original* designators,
invoke the 'Edit/Paste Special...' command, and in the resulting 'Paste
Special' dialog box, check the 'Duplicate designator' checkbox. (You will
probably have to uncheck the 'Remove Duplicates' checkbox, within the
'Options' Tab of the 'Preferences' dialog box, before doing that though.)

(Having duplicated components like that is best done only in panellised
PCBs, and only after you are fully confident that the initial PCB fully
"passes muster". And when I panellise PCBs, I always retain separate files
for the original PCB and for the panellised form of that.)

If either additional paired layers or optional pairing of the existing
Mechanical layers were to be provided though, I could still imagine some
users wanting to use such layers as supplementary Silkscreen layers in some
circumstances (say for Acrobat file/paper documentation of components over
and above what was silkscreened onto the real PCBs themselves). And others
have already commented on the merits of having a pair of Assembly layers...

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer