>There are problems with doing X and Y flips - they don't swap layers and
>they leave components in upside-down. The L-Flip (layer flip) with
>selections is also fraught.

What purpose does X & Y flip serve with respect to the components themselves
apart from sorting out assembly layer issues for components on the bottom
layer ie. allowing you to move the mechanical bits to another layer and
mirroring them when necessary. Put another way, wouldn't it be better, even
now, to define a set of properly paired layers and (harking back to my
original point) to make sure that ALL future layers are paired.