Don Ingram wrote:

> The system seems rather intuitive which I find in stark contrast to trying
> to do anything in Autocad ( shows my electronic design / software
> background, definitely not a draftsman's bootlace. But even if I was a
> draftsman I think I would still despise Autocad...  ) & as of doing a few of
> the supplied tutorials I quite like it.  It looks like it could be a neat
> tool for constructing 3D component models for import into Qualecad or heaven
> forbid a functional prottle 3D addon.
>
> Has anyone got any real hands-on experience with the Desktop product or the
> company to date?  It looks like they are one of the big guys when you look
> at the features & price of their high end PRO/ENGINEER offering.

Pro/Desktop Express seems to work well with QualECAD View3D.
I created a few quick components and imported them into Protel/View3D via VRML
without difficulty.

Pro/Desktop is sort of a "hidden gem" from PTC.  It is much easier to use than
Pro/Engineer -- very similar in user interface style to SolidWorks, Solid Edge
and Catia.  The free version appears to have all of the modelling functions
intact.  A feature comparison chart between it and the full version can be seen
in the FAQ at:   http://ptc.com/products/desktop/prodesktop_faq.htm

John Williams