Mike,
        don't know why the mystery, you never came across this so far to
date? Every pad property window has the plating checkbox on the third tab,
just below the net list box. The unplated holes will be differentiated as a
separate tool for unplated holes of X size when you generate your drill
file.
        As for your butt being chewed, yeah some fabricators will fab files
like you had supplied, some others will cry the blues and some will
aggressively question your intelligence.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth S8155 at NAB 2002 in Las Vegas April 8 - 11.