Lloyd Johnson wrote:

> This may be slightly off topic, but we are beginning to have occasional
> problems with the reliability of the connections between a 68 pin low
> profile PLCC socket and a 68 pin IC package.
>
> Are low profile sockets (Millmax 540-99-068-17-400200) less reliable than
> full height PLCC sockets? Or are PLCC sockets for larger parts just
> inherently a bad idea?
>
> This socket uses the same footprint as the PLCC part, so we can change to
> direct soldering the part in place if this is needed.

I have seen some problems with certain types of PLCC sockets.  I'm not
sure if there is a low-profile vs. normal height relationship.  I think it
is
much more related to the combination of socket pin plating and the chip
lead plating.  I have had good results with 2-part sockets for big Xilinx
FPGAs, whick use amazing contact force.  Some of the 44-pin PLCC
sockets I have seen are really mediocre.  MillMax usually makes good
stuff, so it may have something to do with the plating on the chip,
itself.  Are the contact points of the socket gold-plated?

Jon