Lloyd Johnson wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> >>does pushing down fix the problems?<<
>
> Actually, the unit will become flaky, memory gets corrupted and the unit
> sometimes self-resets due to corrupted memory. When I press on the part in
> the socket, it often makes the problem happen just as I am pressing down on
> the part. But when I remove the part from the socket and then re-install it,
> the same unit is no longer sensitive to pressing down on the part and the
> problem seems to be gone. Re-initializing memory clears out corrupt data and
> the unit works OK.
>
> This is a new design and we have built about 50 units and seen this problem
> in 2 so far.

It sounds like these units are being hand-assembled.  A bit of skin oil
could cause problems, immediately, or at any arbitrary time.  The contact
area on these things is pretty small, and generally, there is only one contact
point,
not two or more, as on many other connector types.  What you describe
could be a speck of dirt or contamination, or some oxide on the PLCC
leads.

Jon