i can't comment on the reliability issue (millmax makes pretty good
stuff i think)
but the high profile ones are sometimes larger around the perimeter even
though the lands are the same 'footprint'

i've seen significant differences in that dimension

we are using the 68p PLCC full profile thru hole
maybe 1000 pcs over the last 2 years and (knock on wood) have not seen
reliability issues

also you do have to be sure that your people push them down hard into
the socket, same with DIPs

the thermal cycling can make them walk out of their sockets

does pushing down fix the problems?

Dennis Saputelli