I have seen edge card connectors (Microchannel) become contaminated in
board wash.  It appeared as a very thin film,  almost invisible.  Rotating the
board at a 45 degree angle to a light source improved the ability to
see the deposit.  This definitely created some very flaky intermittent
connection problems.

I'm wondering if your PLCC sockets might be suffering from a similar problem.

---Phil