At 08:51 AM 4/20/2002 +1200, Simon Peacock wrote:
>your best bet is to do a round the world processing.. that way the board can
>be worked on 24 hours a day by people in different time zones :) .. but
>expect to pay through the nose :)

I did this with a job which was more complex than what Mr. Robison needs;
essentially it was a list of changes to be implemented on a PCB. I and
another designer traded off the file, so we were working sequentially: I
was in the U.S. and he was in New Zealand. In fact, it was Mr. Peacock....

Without breaking a sweat, the two of us put 15 hours a day into the job,
and there was no inefficiency. The client did pay a little extra for the
rush, but not much.

With Mr. Robison's job, however, much of the work could be done in
parallel; as I mentioned, the job of copying layers one at a time can
easily be split up. So it does not need to be done in different time zones
or on different shifts. But it still could be done that way....

The work of making and placing footprints as needed, plus the outline and
all the vias, would necessarily be done either by one person or by persons
working sequentially, trading the file back and forth. This part of the job
would benefit by what I called ping-ponging.

In general, my business benefits from having accessible contractors in
differing time zones; we can provide fast-turn without burning anyone out.
Mostly this involves one designer working on one job while another works on
another, but whenever there is a great rush on a single job, the design
muscle is available.

(Certain aspects of design can readily be split up: making footprints, for
example, can be done by another while the first designer is completing the
schematic.)

Placement would ideally be done by one designer, because it is helpful to
be working from an overall vision, relatively difficult to communicate; but
even this, though could be done sequentially (ping-ponged) with some loss
of efficiency; i.e., one would be trading increased cost -- total hours
invested -- in favor of faster delivery. My clients would prefer that
trade-off.

But some kinds of design division do not increase cost at all. Designers
tend not to do it for several reasons:

(1) independent designers can be very reluctant to let go of part of their
work. Not only can there be quality concerns but the designer could be
giving up part of his or her income. Independent designers tend to work
feast-and-famine, and when one has the work, one really needs the income,
even though it means burning the midnight oil. It's a vicious circle, a
trap, one which I am *very* grateful to have escaped.

(2) In-house designers generally don't have the resources, i.e., trusted
designers in other time zones, or other available designers in-house on
other shifts or free to work in parallel.

(3) we are just plain accustomed to working alone...

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
LOMAX DESIGN ASSOCIATES
PCB design, consulting, and training
Protel EDA license resales