[snip]
> Why don't I want to add a net label?  Because then I
> have a wire with a net label and a port right next to
> each other -- it just looks silly.

[snip]

Then put the net label on the other end of the wire.

In fact, I like to put net labels on both ends of the wire
(sometimes in the middle a few times too) on very long wires.
And why would I do that you ask?

When you are wiring up a schematic with a bunch of parallel
wires making 90 degree turns and snaking around components,
humans have a tendency to loose the wire they are following.
So if you are following a wire and find a net label along the way,
you can confirm that you are on the correct wire.

Jeff Stout