Dwight,
        there was some acknowledgement of this in my message you quoted. You
are in a semi-unique situation which may be more common amongst the list
server members than I had realized. I have been slowly coming around to this
fact, doesn't mean that you/they can pronounce fab drawings as generally
unnecessary. As for your experiences, you and your fab shop are both
accepting some risk. The reason that some shops are specifically asking for
fab drawings is that they have decided that they don't want to accept the
risk.

        Since Ted raised the issue of documentation packages with layer
drawings, I want to say that in no way do I include individual layer
drawings in what I call a fab drawing. My fab drawings include only board
outlines, dimensions, drill symbols, requirements notes and acceptance
criteria. They are typically a one drawing page. Typically I would
characterize it as everything that is needed to check and accept the PCBs
after fabrication (without the necessity to confirm electrical connectivity,
that's done at the board shop).

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.