I do not want a "circular block in the center of the pad".

For this board using Via in Pad:
The board fabrication process drills a through hole through the board
and plates the holes (so far just like any other plated hole). Then they
plug the hole in the BGA pads using a process that leaves the BGA pad flat.

If I use a though-hole pad, I do not get a hole in the paste mask (but I
do get holes in both top and bottom solder masks). I still need a
circular hole in the top paste mask. I was considering using an arc
placed on the paste mask layer over each of the BGA pads. If the width
of the trace used to create the arc is greater than 2x the radius, there
will be no hole in the donut. Using the example of a 20mil wide track
used for a full circle arc with a 5 mil radius (measured to the center
of the track); the outside edge of the track makes a 30mil circle, the
inner edge of the track covers (by 5mil) the center of the arc. Its a
filled donut!

How would you place a circle on the paste mask layer?

David