On 01:12 PM 1/06/2002 -0500, David W. Gulley said:
>Richard Sumner wrote:
>
>>David,
>>Talk to your assembler before you invest time in this. The paste mask
>>becomes a metal stencil for applying the solder paste. So donuts will not
>>work (the donut hole is unsupported).
>

>Actually my idea was to make the width of the track greater than 2x the
>radius of the arc so I would end up with a "filled donut". (For example if
>I want a 30 mil opening in the paste mask, I could use a 20mil wide arc
>with a radius of 5mil.)
>
>However, what I have just tried that seems a bit simpler is to use a pad
>and a via (gee a via in a pad!) where the pad is TopLayer only and the via
>is set for tenting. Do an update free primitives after import to the PCB
>and viola...

Alternatively, you can use thru-hole pads fully tented (see the advanced
tab of the pad properties) and add another single layer 0mm hole size pad
on just the *top mask* layer.  Make sure you don't tag this one as tented -
a tented mask pad makes for nothing (a small improvement in P99SE would be
that single layer pads on the mask layers can't be tented).  This works
OK.  So you fully tent and then open the mask manually in a controlled
fashion.  P99SE allows pads to exist on non-copper layers - a great thing I
think.

This way may have a small advantage over your method as it does not require
two copper primitives - that then have to be updated to force the pads nets
onto the accompanying vias.

You may need to muck about with the paste layer as well to close it off as
required - but you have this issue regardless.

Ian Wilson

Considered Solutions Pty Ltd     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ABN: 96 088 410 002
5 The Crescent
CHATSWOOD   2067
Ph: +61 2 9411 4248   Fax: +61 2 9411 4249