Ivan:

Yes unfortunately you still need a valid License of win98, and you still can
buy win98SE OEM with new PC's if you ask for it.  But you are right, who
wants to give M$ more money.

There is an emulator that is getting very close.  Wine from codeweavers.com
is fairly nice.  It will run games and small programs without a Windows
Install.  Wine gives you a choice when you install it; To use an existing
Windows Install or Create one.  When I run the Protel and Camtastic install
under wine they would fail, but if I run Camtastic through Wine pointing to
my Win4Lin install of Camtastic then it will work.  But I haven't got Protel
to run yet.  I also haven't put much effort into it.  So it might run yet.
:)

I haven't tried the commercial version "CrossOver Office" from codewavers, it
might run Protel.  But I'm not sure.

Jason

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 15:01, Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
> Jason:
>
> It sounds like you still have to have a Windows installation on the Linux
> machine to run Win4Lin, right?
>
> I want a solution that eliminates the need for the Windows installation.
> Where you gonna find new licenses for Win98se now?  And who wants to give
> M$ more money for it?  Not me (maybe if they cost less).
>
> Of course, a Windows emulator for Linux would be a lot easier if M$ were
> forced to freely publish their entire Windows API (even the undocumented
> stuff).  That's what the DOJ should be requiring, not cash settlements or
> software component removal options.
>
> Still, it's good that it works for you.  Thanks for contributing your
> experience.
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan Baggett
> Bagotronix Inc.