Evidently I have much better luck with the autorouter than most of you folks
do.

I have used it on boards ranging from 2-sided to 8 layer.  I admit that
there are sometimes things it does which baffle me, but I don't get the
design rule violations like was described in the original post.  And I
almost always get 100% completion.  And it's fast!

The thing with the autorouter is you must practice with it to get good
results.  Tweak every parameter you can think of and see what happens.  I
will typically have to tweak parameters and do trial routes until I get
satisfactory results.  On an 8-layer PCB I might spend an afternoon trying
different things.  Then maybe 15-30 min. of manual cleanup after I get the
result I like (or hate least).

Manually routing of critical nets (clock, analog) MUST be done manually.
But after that, I lock the pre-routes, and let the autorouter rip.

I did a 2-sided PCB last week that took only 19 seconds to route to 100%.
And it was a good result!  It was a simple board, but I would have spent 4
or more hours routing it by hand.  And 8 layers, fuhgeddabouddit!

I run 99SE on a Asus dual-P3 with 512MB RAM, W2K.  No crashes!

I agree with Joey, a manual meta-router would be great.  I have wished for
this for a long time.  The best artificial intelligence is a real
intelligence (your brain).  An AI that autoroutes tracks in a predefined
path you specify manually would be the biggest productivity booster to
routing I can think of.  Ironically, it would probably be easier software to
write than a really good autorouter.

I don't find manual routing relaxing, though.  I like to design circuits.
For me, PCB routing and writing software are necessary evils.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com