[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: 7bit

I've wondered how one goes about spoofing the "from" address, since
that's
such a common tactic for spam and other undesirable mail. My sister just
got
an email with a virus the other day, and the return address claimed it
was
from me. I haven't seen any way within AOL to monkey with the return
address
- is this just an AOL restriction?

Most unix and unix-like systems allow the user to put anything in the
"from"
field, by default.  It is AMAZING that most of these systems have not
been
restricted to allowing only known users, or known source addresses to
have
access to the SMTP server.  Many HUGE ISPs at least until recently,
allowed
anyone to send mail messages into them for relaying to unsuspecting 3rd
parties.  Since the Klez worm EXTENSIVELY exploits this feature,
I suspect that many of these big holes will be plugged.  I complained
about
this at our departmental server for a year before they found it
necessary
to restrict it.

Glad to know AOL isn't part of the problem!  Yes, it can be a pain when
you
are away from home, but the spammers are drowning us in garbage.

Jon

* Tracking #: 51EA88232F3D6841BEC804D7232B2F2D581DE732