> >Also, any e-mail software that I might switch to must be supported under
> >Windows and Linux, because I am trying to phase M$ out.
>
> Very ambitious plan.  About when do you expect to have M$ phased out of
> your company?  ;)

When W2K is no longer sold or supported.  At that time, we would either have
to use XP (or Longhorn, or whatever M$ calls it by then) or switch to Linux
for any new PC installations.  The licensing terms, WPA, and EULAs for XP
and later M$ products are simply absurd.

I am not opposed in principle to time-limited software licensing.  But the
terms and price of it are ludicrous.  The OS should be a commodity item, and
priced accordingly.  Same with office suites.  Everyone uses them.  Not so
much with EDA.  I think a price of $30-40 for the OS, and $30-40 for office
suite is fair.  That's for unlimited-time use.  If they wanted to time-lease
OS and office suite for $10 per year, I would consider that fair too.  At
those prices, free software (aka Liinux) would be not nearly as popular.  So
M$'s greed is their own worst enemy.

If you don't like what M$ is doing, you better start foraging for
alternatives to the M$ universe now, because it will take a long while to
lessen your dependence on them.

If you (the public, not Frank) love M$, then keep using XP.  You remind me
of the Animal House movie, where the Omega house pledges are undergoing
initiation hazing.  The scene where Neidermyer spanks a pledge who then says
"Thank you, sir!  May I have another?"  Imagine you are the pledge, you've
just paid your dues (Software Assurance subscription), and Bill Gates is
giving you the spanking.

I too would like to see Altium put effort into a Linux version of Protel.
3-4 years from now, I will probably be replacing this PC.  Since I don't
want XP, and won't likely be able to get W2K, I will probably have to run
Linux on it.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.