> Yea it is my only Compaq, and maybe my last.   Compaq may be smarter than
> the rest of the industry....They have built hardware speciifially to run a
> specific OS.     Sounds like an  Apple Computer doesnt it?

Making crappy proprietary hardware, becoming reviled in the industry for
poor quality, reliability, and support, having several consecutive quarters
of losses, and then getting merged into a competitor doesn't fit my
definition of "smart".  I'm no fan of Apple, but the only thing they ever
had in common with Compaq was having several consecutive quarters of losses.

Interestingly, I have heard that Compaq is highly regarded for their
professional lines of computers (servers, prof desktops, etc.).  It's the
Presario and other "consumer" lines that have given them the bad reputation.
I guess they figured that the consumer doesn't need a reliable machine, only
the pros do.  What a big PR policy mistake!  For every IT manager saying how
good Compaq is, there are hundreds or thousands of consumers that can
badmouth Compaq.

I have been buying only locally-built white box PCs for my business and home
use for over 4 years now.  All of them have performed up to expectations,
none have needed repair, and some have been upgraded with standard parts.  I
couldn't be happier with them.  Besides, I can customize them with stuff you
can't get from the big brands:  removable IDE drive bays, PCMCIA slots,
dual-monitor video cards, etc.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.