> Not only is that,  there are still customers and small companies out there
> that want only schematic capture tools at a low cost.    If I am not
> mistaken you can only purchase Schematic tools from Orcad and Eagle
> software.   Cadence reluctantly sold me the sch tools because I am such a

IMO, Altium should give away the SCH editor.  This would greatly increase
their PCB suite sales.  The reason:  Protel SCH would then become the new
"standard" for schematic entry.  By giving away the SCH, chip companies
would use it to base their reference designs on.  Then, users of those chips
would take the reference SCH, and use a free copy of the SCH editor to
create their design.  Once they are used to Protel SCH, they would probably
buy the PCB suite.

I get annoyed every time I go to a chip mfrs website to download reference
schematics, and they are all in Orcad.  I don't want to mess with conversion
to Protel, because I have tried this before several times, and it has never
worked.  I end up having to create all my own parts and schematics from
scratch.  What a pain for huge parts with hundreds of pins!

Altium should think about all those engineering students and hobbyists who
someday will be working for companies or starting their own businesses.  Get
those people hooked on good products, and you will have a good revenue
stream into the future.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.