Here is a very simple suggestion for Altium.

You have a very large customer and user base for a fairly developed product,
Protel 99 SE, which has some bugs and problems, bur nothing that cannot be
fixed with a Service Pack.

You have customers who are familiar with this product, and have a lot of
money tied up in it, and know how to use it, and in fact swear by it.

You have developed a new product, DXP, which represents a substantial
investment to you in development time and money.

This product is however different.

It is not simply supposed to be a better continuation of the older product,
it is in fact different.

It does things differently, and it doesn't do many of the same things.

This is not necessarily good, or necessarily bad, but as Leo said to Riggs
in the graveyard scene near the end of the movie Lethal Weapon 4, "just
different".

DXP, in many respects, appears to be designed as a next generation EDA
Product, and I am sure that if handled properly, that potential can be
realized.

Is DXP for everyone?

I think you know that the answer is no.

Is Protel 99 SE obsolete?

I think you also know that that answer there is also no.

Protel 99 SE may be to the point that you feel that you cannot develop it
any further, which may be true, but that does not necessarily mean that it
is obsolete, or that as a product it does not continue to have a market
niche. Yes, it does have some problems that need to be fixed, and there are
a few features that could be easily added, but once that is done, I would
maintain that Protel 99 SE is still a viable product for years to come.

DXP is new, and in many respects more advanced (at least conceptually), bit
it too also has some problems, in fact many problems, that need to be fixed,
and there are a few features that need to be added, but once that is done, I
would maintain that DXP will also be a viable product for years to come.

Actually, you have two different products here, and I think that you are
making a big mistake in attempting to replace one with the other.

I would respectfully submit that you will never do that.

I would respectfully submit that you are in fact alienating and loosing
customers by attempting to do that.

I would respectfully submit that you should consider keeping Protel 99 SE as
the product that is has taken years to become, and also DXP as a newer, next
generation, higher level product that it appears to have the potential to
become.

Yes Altium, I would suggest that you keep Protel 99 SE as a product, and DXP
too!

Yes Altium, you actually can have your cake and eat it too!

Respectfully submitted

JaMi Smith

* Tracking #: C10EFF1BE03D2548947FC8283406C3863EBAF683