I wouldn't disagree with you much, but to add a few other thoughts:

Did P98 "KLUNK!" back in 1998 on Win98? Maybe a service pack to windows,
or win2k or winXP changed somehow and caused the "KLUNK!" to start. The
reason I ask that is because I have a simple app I purchased and it was
running fine one win98, then on win2k. At some point I tried it on winXP
and the minimize button no longer worked! How could a simple, ubiquitous
task as minimize stop working?? I have no idea, but I asked the vendor
that supports the app and they say they are aware of it and will release
a fix at some point. Does the lack of a date mean they aren't sure why
it broke?

I know you do PCB layout, but do you design software also?