Hi, Dennis.

I have a theory on all this, based on my early experience with 99SE in
Win2000.  After much frustration with hang-ups and crashes early on, say a
year ago, I took to investigating the Win2000 Services that were running on
my machine based on some information that I found from the extreme PC gaming
sights.  I experimented with reducing the number of unnecessary processes
that are running on my machine.  I was satisfied that this crashing syndrome
can be improved, but maybe not eliminated, by reducing the complexity of the
environment in which 99Se is running.  I never followed my experiments up in
a systematic way and eventually lost interest as other work factors took
over.

Perhaps your poll could include having each Win2000 user also send a CSV
file of the System Services of his machine, along with his rating.  Then we
can compute the correlation factor for each of the processes, using a simple
Excel worksheet and see if anything jumps out.

The CSV file is generated easily.  Right click the My Computer icon and
select "Manage".  Then click "Services and Applications" followed by
"Services".  Then use Actions/Export List to generate the .csv file of all
the services.. Have everybody name there services file by there own handle,
mine would be "thutches.csv" for example.  Then after they are all collected
we can crunch them as a set.

Any interest?

Tim Hutcheson