Hello Richard,

We regularly produce good assembly drawings from Protel.
What we do is as follows;

We have a sheet border on one of the Mechanical layers, and use this layer for all of
the assembly notes, item balloons etc. Company graphics are just lines and arcs,
created initially from a .dxf file (in our case from AutoCAD.).
We create a print .ppc file using this layer, the board outline and component overlay.
We print hardcopy direct from this and use a .pdf distiller to create a .pdf version
that everyone else can view on our network.

We actually have another mechanical layer with a mirror image version of our company
sheet border to allow printing of a right-reading assembly drawing for the other side
of the board if required. We use a third mechanical layer to produce the sheet border
for the master (fab) drawing.

It took a while initially and involved a bit of fine tuning, but once it was all done
we made that .ddb essentially a template for any new designs.

I hope this is of some help to you.

regards,

Phil Dutton.
Tenix Defence