Tim,
        I am not trying to answer for Joe but here is what we do. We include
in our library land patterns a mechanical layer with a precise 1:1 scale of
the component and the special .designator string. This is our assembly
layer. It is also the sanity check layer where you can look at the real part
dimensions and measure the distances between any components. You can't do
this with a silkscreen that must clear pads, mounting holes or other copper
obstacles. Dangerous using the silkscreen? I don't quite understand that
reference but using this method is definitely advantageous.
        Now if only we had mechanical or special assembly layer pairing like
most every other CAD package have, we would be laughing for even
double-sided assemblies.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification

* Tracking #: 381CB48292AE4F4D9B8D5E8B4A00EFF3D4299245