Hi All,

Can I selectively tent only one side of a via, without having to tent the
entire via and then manually go in there and put a little round pad on the
solder mask layer on only one side of the hole, to prevent mask on that
side. (My first mistake may be in assuming that a pad on the soldermask
layer will actually prevent "mask" from being applied there.)

I know that this sometimes yields less than perfect results, since the mask
can simply run down the barrel of the hole, from the inmasked side to the
masked side and gum up the masked side a bit, but I am willing to live with
that.

I have to use tenting on the top side of a board underneath a BGA, simply to
prevent any solder from being wicked into the hole in the via, and causing a
bad BGA "ball".

But at the same time, this is a prototype board, and I have left all of the
unused pads (pins) of the BGA still connected to a via, so that they can be
accessed from the backside of the board if necessary, and it would be nice
if everything was not tented there (at least intentionally and aside from
what may run down the hole), so that people do not have to scrape off the
soldermask with an xacto knife to get to the pad if they want that signal.

JaMi